Laya




Laya is a Telugu film actress and a Kuchipudi dancer. She entered the Telugu film industry in a movie called "Swayam Varam" along with another popular actor, Venu. She had acted in about 40 Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam films.

Laya is from Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh and has settled as classical dancer in Hyderabad. She performed more than 50 stage shows before getting married and emigrating to the USA.

Filmography

Tata Birla Madhyalo Laila (2006) - Mahalaxmi
Alice in Wonderland (2005)
Thommanum Makkalum (2005) - Poonkavanam
Udayon (2005) - Maya
Swarabhishekam (2004)
Gajendra (2004)
Donga Ramudu & Party (2003) - Vasantha Lakshmi
Missamma (2003)
Kondaveeti Simhasanam (2002)
Siva Rama Raju (2002)
Devullu (2001) - Goddess Seetha
Hanuman Junction (2001) - Sangeetha
Maduve Agona Baa (2001) - Shanti
Manoharam (2000) - Usha



Interview



It is a tad sad that Laya has not got her due in Tollywood.

The limpid-eyed beauty is the sole dyed-in-the-wool Andhra girl in the industry.

Beyond that itself, she deserves better breaks on her talents and looks.

She is a consummate actor. A consummate dancer (she is formally trained in classical dance). She is well read (Laya appeared for her degree exams recently).

Looks, talent and education, she has it all. But then why is she not the number one? Laya doesn''t know. But she is not complaining.

How does it feel to be the sole Telugu-speaking actress in the industry?

I feel proud of my roots. I know the value of the culture and tradition of the place. But having said that, the people here are so open-minded and have a catholicity of views on many things. They are not hide-bound like people elsewhere are.
You still seem to pursue your studies. Why, and how is it possible?

I have always been studious. Just because you are in a profession, it doesn't mean that you should give up something else. If you have the mind, you can achieve anything in life. This is a simple truism of life. Recently, I took my BCA exams, and was quite successful at it. Now I want to take it up further. After all, every one in my family is well educated. The industry people have been helpful in allowing me to pursue my studies -- the schedules have been kept flexible for my sake.
What are your other interests?

In fact, I have an abiding interest in many things in life. Recently I performed classical dance at a Dussera function. I learnt Bharatanatyam from Pasumarti Ramalingaiah Sastry. It has been very good learning experience. Dance teaches you a lot in life.
Getting to your career in films, do you think it is at the crossroads?

What makes you to think so. I have been having a stream of offers. It is just that I have to pick and choose to suit my image.
Tell us about Swaraabhishekam

t has been a honor to work with somebody like Vishwanath. He is a genius. And I need not say anything more on that. The entire world knows about it. I play a TV anchor in the film. Srikanth is my husband in the film. It has been a great experience as I have been to learn a lot during the shoot.
Your plans for the future?

I don't have any set goals. I like to take life as it comes. I always give my best whatever the situation. I leave the rest to God.

Photo Gallery




























0 comments:

Post a Comment | Feed

Post a Comment